We all love the classic Gameboy console and the many games available for it. However people don’t usually carry them around or even own them these days. What if you wanted to play all those amazing Gameboy games without the console on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad? That’s where the Game Play Emulator comes in.
With Game Play you can play any Gameboy game you can find for free on your iOS device without the need of a jailbreak. You don’t even technically have to install an app. The emulator itself is all web based. ROMs are loaded to the device from your Google Drive which can then be played.
Requirements & Notes:
- You will need an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad running iOS 9.0 or higher.
- An internet connection is required when using the emulator.
- You will need a Google account (ROMs are stored on Google Drive).
- Game performance will depend on your device. Newer devices will run the games smoother.
- Open Safari on your iOS device and navigate to https://gameplaycolor.com/app/.
- Tap on the Share button at the bottom of Safari and tap ‘Add to Home Screen’. When the window appears tap ‘Add’ in the top right.
- Open the ‘Game Play’ app which should now be on your home screen. Tap the ‘Sign In’ button. You will be redirected to Safari where you will be asked to log into your Google account.
- Once you have logged in, you will be presented with an access code. Highlight this and copy it.
- Now go back to the Game Play app and paste the access code into the space provided. Tap continue and you should now be all set up.
- Now you need to download some ROMs. Click here to find a website which offers ROM downloads. Use any of these to download a game of your choosing (for legal reasons you should only download games you own).
- Once you have downloaded the ROM, you will need to add it to your Google Drive. You can do this either by uploading it through the website or by putting it in your Google Drive folder on your computer (if you have one). Make sure the ROM is extracted and in either a .gbc or .gb file format.
- Now go back to the Game Play app on your device and you should see the game you downloaded in the menu. Tap on it and it should start to play!