The jailbreak scene has been better over the last year than it has been for a long time before. With the release of the checkm8 bootrom exploit for A11 and older devices, and various other exploits being discovered, the future looks bright for the jailbreaking community.
The good times are showing no sign of slowing down either, as Pwn20wnd has this week surprised us all with the news that unc0ver has been updated to work with all devices running anything from iOS 11.0 to the latest iOS 13.5. This means that no matter how new or old your iOS or iPadOS device is, you should be able to jailbreak it.
As with all jailbreaks over the past few years, this is a semi-tethered jailbreak. This means whenever you reboot your device you will need to follow step 7 of the below guide to restore all jailbreak features. This is very easy to do, so it isn’t a big problem.
Requirements & Notes
- This is compatible with iOS 11.0 – 13.5
- This is a semi-tethered jailbreak (read step 7)
- This works with all devices running a compatible iOS version.
- A Windows or Mac computer is required for this method.
- Make sure to backup all your data to iTunes or iCloud before attempting this jailbreak
- If you do not already have AltStore, follow this guide to get AltStore set up.
- Download the latest unc0ver IPA file from the link above. It can be downloaded with Safari on-device or on a computer and then copied to the device.
- Open AltStore and tap the + icon. Select the unc0ver IPA file and wait for it to install.
- Open the unc0ver app. Tap on the ‘Jailbreak‘ button and the jailbreak should begin. This will create a snapshot of your device first, which will be followed by a reboot.
- Once the device turns back on, go back to the unc0ver app, and tap the jailbreak button again. The unc0ver app should now be jailbreaking the device and installing Cydia. Do NOT do anything else with the device while this is happening. This step may take several attempts before it will work, so make sure to keep trying if it fails.
- Once Cydia is installed your device should respring. Cydia should now be on your home screen! Tap the Cydia app and it should open without any problems. If it doesn’t open, you may need to open the unc0ver app and tap ‘re-jailbreak’ to enable the jailbreak.
- As this is a Semi-Tethered jailbreak after you reboot your device all jailbreak features will be disabled. To fix this all you need to do is open the unc0ver app,
and do the same thing you did in step 5. You will need to do this every time you reboot your device.
- Once your device resprings, your jailbreak functionality will be restored!
Can’t Install unc0ver?
Make sure that the AltServer app is running on your PC, and that you’re connected to the same Wi-Fi network is it connected to. If you’ve done this, try closing and re-opening AltServer and try again. If all else fails, connect your device to your computer using a USB cable and try installing unc0ver again.
If once the jailbreak is complete, Cydia is not on your home screen, open the unc0ver app. Firstly make sure you are actually jailbroken by checking that the blue jailbreak button reads “Re-jailbreak”. If it does, tap the settings cog in the top right. Scroll down and tap the ‘Open Cydia’ button to open the Cydia app.