As Apple does with every jailbreak that is released, they have patched the newest Chimera jailbreak for iOS 12.0 to 12.2. Because of this, if you update your iOS device, you will no longer be able to jailbreak. Normally if you ever ran into any problems that required you to restore your device to factory settings, you’d be forced to update and lose your jailbreak. However, with Samg_is_a_Ninja’s new tool called Succession, you can unjailbreak and restore to factory settings without updating! It works on the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad and doesn’t even require you to use a computer. All you need to do is download the app from Sileo and run it.
The Chimera jailbreak app also has a built-in function to restore only the jailbreak back to its original state. Doing this would allow you to remove all jailbreak tweaks/apps while retaining all other data on your device. If you are planning on restoring just to fix a broken tweak, this would be the better method to use.
Requirements & Notes
- This works with iOS 12.0 – 12.2.
- This works with an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
- Succession will both unjailbreak and restore your device to factory settings (deleting your data) without updating.
- Make sure to make a backup of your device first if you want to keep any data as it will be removed in this process.
Only Restore Jailbreak (Keep all Other Data)
- Make sure your device is in an unjailbroken state by rebooting.
- Open the Chimera jailbreak app and tap the up arrow at the bottom, then tap the red ‘Restore RootFS’ button.
- Tap OK on the pop-up, then tap the new ‘Restore Filesystem’ button on the main menu.
- Tap OK when the app says a reboot is required. This will happen automatically when you press OK.
- Once the device reboots, open the Chimera app again and tap ‘Jailbreak’ to re-jailbreak the device. If it says another reboot is required, tap OK and wait for this to happen. Once the device is back up, do the same thing again.
- Once jailbroken again, your device’s jailbreak should now be reset to its original state. Any packages installed with Sileo should now be removed.
Some jailbreak apps may still show their non-functional icon on the home screen. To remove these you will need to install and uninstall the app with Sileo.
Factory Restore (Delete all Data)
- Make sure you have backed up any data on your device that you wish to keep before attempting this. Also, make sure your device is sufficiently charged or plugged in before attempting.
- Open Sileo on your jailbroken device, go to the ‘Search’ tab and type in ‘Succession’. Find and open it.
- Install it by tapping ‘Get’, then ‘Queue’, followed by ‘Confirm’.
- Once installed, the Succession icon will be on your home screen.
- Open the app and check that the device and version information shown is correct. If it is wrong, tap ‘This information is not correct’ and follow the instructions shown to manually download an IPSW file.
- If the information shown is correct, tap the ‘Download clean filesystem’ button at the bottom, followed by ‘Start Download’. This will now download the correct IPSW file needed for the restore (leave the app open while this is happening).
- Once the download completes, tap ‘Prepare for Restore!’ to begin the restore. Several confirmation pop-ups will appear asking if you are sure you want to restore. Tap confirm on all of them and the restore will begin. DO NOT close the app or lock your device while this is happening. Leave the app to run, even if it looks like it is frozen until you get to the iOS setup screen.
- Once the process is done, you will be greeted with the default iOS setup page. From here you can set up your device as you like. You can then re-jailbreak your device using this guide.