A few months ago a jailbreak by the name of Unc0ver was released for iOS 12. This jailbreak is compatible with iOS 12.0 to
12.1.2 12.2, but did not have support for newer devices such as the iPhone Xs, iPhone Xr, and iPad Pro 3. Now several months later a brand new jailbreak called Chimera has been released for iOS 12, with compatibility for all iOS 12 devices.
As with all jailbreaks over the past couple of years, this is a semi-tethered jailbreak. This means whenever you reboot your device you will need to follow step 5 of the below guide to restore all jailbreak features. This is very easy though so isn’t a big problem. This new jailbreak is compatible with all devices that can run iOS 12. As with most jailbreaks released over the last few years, this one can also be achieved without a computer simply by downloading the Chimera app from a website such as Ignition or Tweakbox. You should definitely make sure to backup your device to iCloud or iTunes before attempting this.
UPDATE: The Chimera tool has been updated with support for iOS 12.1.3 – 12.2 for A7-A11 devices (see compatibility list below).
Requirements & Notes:
- This is compatible with iOS 12.0 – 12.2 (Not iOS 12.3+)
- This is a semi-tethered jailbreak (read step 6)
- This currently works with the following devices (iOS 12.0 – 12.1.2):
– iPhone Xs/Xs Max
– iPhone Xr
– iPhone X
– iPhone 8/8 Plus
– iPhone 7/7 Plus
– iPhone SE
– iPhone 6s/6s Plus
– iPhone 6/6 Plus
– iPhone 5s
– iPad Air 1/2
– iPad Mini 2/3/4
– iPad 5 (2017)
– iPad 6 (2018)
– iPad Pro 1/2
- For iOS 12.1.3 – 12.2 the following devices are NOT supported:
– iPhone Xs / Xs Max
– iPhone Xr
– iPad Air 3
– iPad Mini 5
– iPad Pro 3
- This method does not require a computer.
- Make sure to backup all your data to iTunes or iCloud before attempting this jailbreak
- It is possible that the certificate used to install the app could get revoked by Apple, meaning the app would not open anymore. To fix this, simply re-download the app using the same method below when the certificate has been updated.
- Open Safari on your iOS 12.0 – 12.2 device and navigate to one of the download pages above. For Ignition, tap the second icon at the bottom followed by the ‘Jailbreaks’ option. In here you will find the Chimera application. Once the install page loads, tap the ‘Get‘ button on the page. A window should pop-up asking if you want to install the app. Tap ‘Install’ again and the Chimera app should begin installing on your device.
- Once the Chimera app is installed, open Settings and navigate to General>Profiles & Device Management and find the Chimera app profile. Open it and click ‘Trust’ twice.
- Open the Chimera app. Tap on the ‘Jailbreak‘ button and the jailbreak should begin. The Chimera app should now be jailbreaking the device and installing Sileo (the new Cydia alternative). Do NOT do anything else with the device while this is happening. This step will most likely take several attempts before it will work, so make sure to keep trying if it fails. You will know it has worked when your device has Cydia installed.
- Once Sileo is installed your device should respring. Sileo should now be on your home screen! Open the Sileo app and it should open without any problems. If it doesn’t open, you may need to open the Chimera app and tap Jailbreak once more to enable the jailbreak.
- As this is a Semi-Tethered jailbreak after you reboot your device all jailbreak features will be disabled. To fix this all you need to do is open the Chimera app,
and do the same thing you did in step 3. You will need to do this every time you reboot your device.
- Once your device resprings, your jailbreak functionality will be restored!
- It is possible that, if Apple revokes the certificate for this app, the Chimera app will begin to crash when you try to open it. If this does happen, come back here and try to reinstall it using the link(s) above.