Everyone loves to revisit the video games they played growing up and feel that sweet, sweet nostalgia. If you’ve lost or given away your old consoles however, this can be a bit more difficult. One way you can play games for consoles you don’t have anymore is by using an emulator. GBA4iOS is one of the most well known Gameboy emulator apps available for iOS. It makes it very easy for anyone to play their favourite Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advanced games on their iPhone, iPod touch or iPad for absolutely nothing!
Installing the emulator is easy, and will only take a few minutes of your time. It’s worth keeping in mind though, that this app is installed using a developer certificate. What that means is it could be revoked at any time, at while point your emulator will no longer open. Fixing this is as simple as reinstalling it the same way described below, but to avoid potentially losing your games save data I would recommend turning on Dropbox syncing in the app’s settings.
Requirements & Notes
- This does not require a jailbroken device.
- This does not require a computer.
- This app is signed and can be revoked at any time by Apple. If this happens the app will start to crash. To fix this re-download the app and try again. If this does not fix the issue then try again later until it works.
- Open Safari on your iDevice and navigate to the download like above (must be in Safari). Tap the second icon at the bottom followed by the ‘Emulators’ option. In here you will find the GBA4iOS application.
- Once the install page loads, tap the ‘Get‘ button on the page. A window should pop-up asking if you want to install the app. Tap ‘Install’ again and the GBA4iOS app should begin installing on your device.
- Once the app is installed, open Settings and navigate to General>Profiles & Device Management and find the GBA4iOS app profile. Open it and click ‘Trust’ twice.
- You should now be able to open and use GBA4iOS on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad!
- Open the Safari app and navigate to your search engine of choice.
- Search for ‘gba4ios roms’, and find a website with the game(s) you want to download.
- Find the download link for the game you want to install and tap it. It may appear to not be loading, but this is just the large game file downloading, so be patient.
- Once the download finishes, you will be asked how you want to open the file. Either tap ‘Open in GBA4iOS’ (if shown) or tap ‘More…’ followed by ‘Copy to GBA4iOS’.
- The game should now be playable in GBA4iOS.